I thought I would jump into my first recipe post with one of my favourites, cashew milk! Not only is this recipe nutritious and satisfying, it’s also a great dairy-free milk alternative. Did you know cashews are actually considered to be a seed versus a nut? They’re shaped like a kidney attached to a cashew apple which grows from a cashew tree, and are well known for being a great source of plant protein, minerals (magnesium/copper/zinc), antioxidants (phenolic + phytosterol compounds), dietary fibre, and heart healthy monounsaturated fats (containing oleic acid) + a smaller amount of polyunsaturated fats (containing linoleic acid). Cashews are also extremely versatile! You can enjoy them raw, make them into butter or plant based milk, use them in flavouring, or sprinkle them on top of salads or yogurt.
Now that I’ve said all that, let’s talk homemade cashew milk! All this recipe requires you to do is soak your cashews overnight, then blend them with water and a few ingredients the next day. When you make your own plant based milk at home, you know exactly what’s going into it and can play around with desired levels of sweetness. It’s actually quite delicious on its own! One note I will share with you about cashew milk is that it has a creamier base, making it best used for smoothie blends, adding to baking, or coffee + tea. Personally, I love a glass of ice cold cashew milk on its own, especially this vanilla-cinnamon blended one I’m about to share with you. I categorize the cinnamon and vanilla as “warming” ingredients (not literally), in the sense that they provide a feeling of comfort and enjoyment. I hope this recipe leaves you with feelings of comfort and joy!
Vanilla-Cinnamon Cashew Milk
A creamy homemade cashew mylk recipe that's easy to make, versatile, and packed with nutrition.
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews (soaked overnight, or for at least 4 hours)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (non-alcoholic)
- Add 5 cups of water + 1 cup soaked raw unsalted cashews to a high-speed blender (make sure to drain + rinse the water from soaking before you add cashews to blender).
- Begin blending on low working your way to a higher speed. Keep blending until your consistency is frothy + similar to milk (this part can take up to 60 seconds).
- When first blending process is complete, add 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Blend for another 60 seconds.
- Once your cashew milk is ready, pour it into a large mason jar and seal it with an air-tight lid. Keep it stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days for quality + freshness. Shake well before serving.
Other combos to add to your next batch of cashew milk:
- Raw cacao + cinnamon
- Nutmeg + cinnamon
- Ginger + turmeric
- Vanilla + cardamom
- Dates + sea salt
I hope that you enjoy this recipe and make sure you tag #thenourishedvibe so I can check out all of your tasty variations of this recipe!