I get really excited when the seasons are about to change and fall starts creeping up. Fall and winter are my favourite seasons! Anyone else? I personally find so much comfort, joy, and cheer this time of year. Not to mention all the gatherings and festivities! The vibe is amazing. My excitement for the season of fall approaching definitely inspired this Comforting Nut-Butter Banana Bread recipe I am sharing with you today.
Ahhh.. Who doesn’t love the smell of fresh baked banana bread? This recipe is AHH-MAZING! It tastes just like fall; comforting, warming, soothing, nourishing… It’s also dairy free, gluten free, and made with plant based ingredients. Good vibes all around. Maybe I could consider this a pre-fall recipe (like how there’s pre-fall fashion)? If it’s not already a thing, then it is now!
Let’s talk a bit about this loaf… I almost always use organic GF (gluten-free) spelt flour in my baking recipes when flour is required. It’s a go-to for me, and can easily be found in a big bag at Costco! I also find this flour doesn’t cause me any stomach upsets or discomforts. Win win! Aside from ripened bananas, I also used almond butter, organic coconut palm sugar, cinnamon, and Himalayan salt in this recipe. A great combination of nutritious ingredients that give off all the fall vibes and make the kitchen smell ahhh-mazing. Something different I did with this recipe (from the norm) was sprinkle a little extra organic coconut palm sugar on top prior to baking, it gives the banana bread a browned sugar crust. So good! I have mentioned in a previous blog post that organic coconut palm sugar gives a rich caramel flavour (similar to brown sugar), which was perfect for adding into this recipe.
Warm up a few slices of comforting banana bread and serve it to your company with tea, or pair it with a delicious cup of coffee, or bring it into work to share as a healthy baking option. You can’t go wrong with this delicious and healthy recipe!
Okay, let’s get to the best part of all… the recipe!
Delicious Nut-Butter Banana Bread
Plant based, dairy free, gluten free, nourishing + nutrient dense banana bread
- 3 bananas (ripe, mashed)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp organic coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups organic gluten-free spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp organic baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 DF + grease a 9×5 loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Mash bananas in a regular bowl with a fork.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together mashed bananas, almond butter and 1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar. Slowly mix in nut milk.
- In another separate bowl, mix organic GF spelt flour, cinnamon, Himalayan salt, and organic baking soda and add it to banana mixture. Mix all ingredients together until blended (be careful not to over blend).
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with an extra 1-2 tablespoons of organic coconut palm sugar. Bake for approximately 40-50 minutes, or until browned on top. Keep an eye and do the fork test if you are unsure bread has completed baking.
- Once baking is complete, set aside and allow to cool completely before removing from pan to slice and serve. Keep stored in an airtight container up to 5 days in the refrigerator… if it lasts that long, it’s so delicious!
Do you find comfort when fall comes rolling in? What are some of your favourite things about this comforting time of year? Is it the baking, the cooking, the fashion, the vibes? I love it all!