This flavourful, versatile, vegan friendly cashew cheese recipe is so yummy and nutritious! Anyone can enjoy it. The soaking of the cashews is important as it softens them, making them easier to blend up. I like to add my cashews to a bowl of water before I go to bed, this way when I wake up they are ready for me to use at any time. Having said that, you can get away with soaking them for at least 4 hours and they will still blend well! After soaking, all you have to do is drain the water the cashews were soaking in and rinse them through a few times and they’re good to go. Pretty simple!
As I mentioned, cashew cheese is versatile. It’s not only a dairy free and vegan friendly option that’s nutritious and healthy, but it can also be combined with whatever flavours you desire. I personally love using garlic, dill, nutritional yeast, as well as lemon juice and apple cider vinegar for some acidity in my cashew cheese recipes.
WAYS TO ENJOY CASHEW CHEESE
- Spread cashew cheese onto healthy crackers and top with extra herbs or some cucumber…
- Spread cashew cheese onto some sprouted toast, avo toast, wraps, sandwiches, baked potatoes…
- Dip fresh chopped raw veggies or homemade fries into cashew cheese…
- Turn cashew cheese into a creamy dip or sauce by blending it with plant based milk…
Anyone can enjoy this delicious vegan friendly cheese, it’s just that good!
Garlic Herb Cashew Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight (or at least 4 hours)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, raw unfiltered
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp dill
- Pinch of sea salt
- Add all ingredients into a reliable high-speed blender (I used my Vitamix) or food processor and process until your consistency is as smooth or chunky as you desire.
- Keep stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 7 days.
Tip – While blending, use a spatula to push down any mixture that gets forced to the sides of your appliance to make sure everything gets blended together evenly. Add tsp amounts of water at a time if your consistency is too thick.
Note – The cashew cheese can be enjoyed immediately, or once it has been chilled in the refrigerator. It’s up to you! Once cashew cheese has been chilled, it will further harden. It will be soft when freshly made prior to refrigerating. Add more or less ingredients for desired taste + consistency preferences.
Have you ever made or tried a cashew cheese? Do you have any homemade specialty dips or spreads you like to make? Comment below to share. Have an amazing day!