Chocolate bark is a recipe I think most people have on hand over the holidays. There are so many delicious and creative bark recipes out there. The traditional chocolate almond bark was always a hit in our house growing up as kids. It’s near the top of my list of favourite Christmas treats. Bark is simple, easy, and whatever you want it to be for any occasion. All you need is melted chocolate and melted coconut oil then the rest of the ingredients are up to you. For the recipe I am sharing today, I used nutrient dense ingredients because healthy eating can taste amazing! Dairy free dark chocolate and organic virgin coconut oil make up the bark’s base, the rest of the ingredients I used are ones that come packed with an array of nutrients and flavour to leave you and your sweet tooth feeling nourished and satisfied.
Peppermint extract: Peppermint is one of those staple flavours during the holidays, it’s invigorating and memorable. The features of peppermint go beyond flavour, it’s also soothing and helps alleviate digestive upsets such as bloating and cramping.
Golden berries: This super berry comes loaded with an excellent source of vitamins and antioxidants.
Grated ginger: I like adding a kick to bark recipes, it’s something to remember the recipe by. Ginger is one of those memorable kicks to add into recipes that also provides an anti-inflammatory boost.
Himalayan salt: Salted chocolate tastes amazing! I like to use Himalayan salt or sea salt in recipes as it’s an unprocessed form of salt that contains an impressive mineral content, aids in detoxification, and helps the body regain mineral balance.
Hemp hearts & chia seeds: These two superfoods are loaded with omega 3’s, plant protein, and an excellent source of fiber. Sprinkling them on top of the bark adds a healthy crunch to each bite.
Whip up this nourishing bark as an easy treat to bring along with you to your holiday festivities or simply make it to have as a nutrient dense sweet treat on hand for those times you want a healthy indulgence.
TIP: Make your bark in the evening and let it set in the fridge overnight, this way you don’t have to wait around for it to set. When you wake up, you can break it apart and transfer it to a container to bring to your holiday events or to keep stored for a later day. Turn on your favourite tunes while you make this recipe to instantly boost your mood and have some fun. Sing at the top of your lungs if you want, let out all the good vibes! I certainly had Mariah Carey Christmas music playing while making my bark… “All I want for Christmas is YOOOOOOU”.
Elevated Dark Chocolate Bark
A dairy free dark chocolate bark infused with plant based, nutrient dense ingredients that deliver an array of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, plant protein, and fiber.
- 4 cups dairy free dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup coconut oil , melted
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 1 cup dried golden berries, or any dried berries of choice, cranberries, goji berries…
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp unsweetened organic shredded coconut
- 1 generous pinch himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, grease it well with coconut oil and set it aside.
- Begin melting coconut oil + chocolate together in a medium sized saucepan on low heat over the stove, once it’s melted together stir in almond extract, peppermint extract, golden berries and grated ginger.
- Pour melted chocolate mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread mixture evenly using a spatula.
- Sprinkle the rest of the ingredients over top of the spread melted chocolate.
- Place in the refrigerator until the chocolate has set, this usually takes a minimum of 2 hours (feel free to leave it as long as you wish). Once the chocolate has set, break it all apart into bark pieces and serve chilled or at room temp. Keep dark chocolate bark stored in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. The bark will last longer if kept stored in the freezer.
NOTE – Add more or less ingredients to suit your taste bud desires.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Have an amazing day!