While food is fuel, it’s also mental, social, emotional, and comes with memories. Wouldn’t you agree? I remember growing up as kids my dad would always be whipping us up delicious muffin recipes for breakfast, or for us to bring along in our lunch bags to school. They were always so fresh and straight out of the oven. Mmm… The smell of fresh baking first thing in the morning gives me all the good feels and brings me back to my childhood. My dad still whips up delicious and healthy muffin recipes, and I love enjoying them whenever I go home to visit, it holds such a sweet spot in my heart. His creations are quite inspiring, and always healthy! This is definitely where my passion for healthy food being absolutely amazing stems from.
Today’s recipe is one that comes from memories and from the heart. I always remember delicious blueberry and flaxseed muffin recipes when I think of home, so today I was inspired to share my own version of a deliciously healthy blueberry muffin recipe. This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, and made up of only whole food ingredients. Not to mention, the muffins taste amazing! Almond flour, organic pure maple syrup, unsweetened almond milk, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, vanilla, organic coconut palm sugar, and blueberries are a few healthy ingredients that contribute to the deliciousness of this muffin recipe.
THE MUFFIN GOODNESS:
- Homey + from the heart
- Smells amazing
- Nutrient dense
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Naturally sweet
Whip this recipe up as snack prep for the week for yourself, or for you and your loved ones. This is a great recipe for having some easy and healthy grab and go snacks kicking around. Pack them into lunches, enjoy them midday with a cup of herbal tea, serve them to your guests when they come over, bring them to work to share something healthy and yummy. You can’t go wrong whichever way you choose to enjoy these simple and delicious blueberry muffins.
SIMPLE GLUTEN FREE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
A healthy twist on a typical blueberry muffin recipe that comes packed with nourishing whole food ingredients. Gluten free, dairy free, nutritious, and absolutely delicious, these muffins will leave you feeling energized, fuelled, and satisfied.
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour
- 2 whole quality eggs
- 1/4 cup organic pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup Drink So Fresh Unsweetened Almond Milk, or any plant based milk or choice
- 1 tbsp raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal
- 1 tsp Simply Organic Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract, non-alcoholic
- 3 tbsp organic coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Grease a 12 slot muffin tin with coconut oil and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients; almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, Himalayan salt, ground flaxseed, and cinnamon. Leave out the organic coconut palm sugar
- Whisk together the almond milk + apple cider vinegar in a separate bowl and set aside for a few minutes. Mix all the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients; eggs, pure maple syrup, and pure vanilla extract. Add in the almond milk + apple cider vinegar after it has been set aside for a few minutes. The batter will have a thick dough-like consistency without any lumps. Fold in the blueberries.
- Scoop heaping tbsp amounts of muffin batter and divide it evenly into the 12 muffin slots. Sprinkle organic coconut palm sugar overtop.
- Place them in the oven for 30 minutes, or until you test with a fork and it comes out clean. Once the muffins are finished baking, let them cool for 10 minutes prior to removal. Keep muffins stored in an airtight container up to 4 days.
Do you have any favourite childhood baking memories? Comment below and let me know! What are some of your favourite healthy muffin recipes? Be sure to let me know if you tried this recipe out by taking a photo of it and sharing it on Instagram @thenourishedvibe or Twitter @NourishedVibe and use the hashtag #thenourishedvibe so I can see your healthy creations!