I’m sure most of you already understand the root cause of disease is inflammation, and to fight against it, today we are going to turn to one of my favourite healing spices, Turmeric!
Turmeric comes from the Curcuma longa plant which grows in India and other Southeast Asian countries. When Curcuma is ground it creates the yellow turmeric powder. Turmeric is a powerful healing spice that’s been used for centuries to treat a variety of ailments. It comes jam packed with a rich source of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, potent antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory compounds. It’s known for containing powerful medicinal properties due to its active nutrient-rich substance called curcumin. Curcumin is a hot topic that has shown to
“possess anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, pro-apoptotic, chemopreventive, chemotherapeutic, anti-proliferative, wound healing, anti-nociceptive, anti-parasitic, and anti-malarial properties.” (source)
Have you ever been told to add a pinch of black pepper with your turmeric? This is because the active substance curcumin is difficult for the body to absorb. To help reap all the benefits of turmeric, black pepper is needed to increase absorption of the active substance curcumin.
I discovered the power of turmeric when I first became passionate about nutrition. I started incorporating turmeric into my diet as a healer, and the results were incredible. If you’ve taken any interest in or peeked around the wellness community on the internet, I’m sure you’ve come across articles on turmeric and it’s amazing benefits, but knowing how to use it and incorporate it into your daily life? That might be another ball park. Eating turmeric as a part of your daily diet is the best way to reap its benefits.
WAYS TO ENJOY TURMERIC: In cooking, baking, raw energy bites, smoothies, nourishing lattes, healthy tonics, soups, curry, salad dressings, sauces, and more!
SOME BENEFITS OF TURMERIC:
- Eases digestion
- Potent antioxidant
- Rich in vitamins + minerals
- Contains bioactive compounds
- Improves cognitive function
- Improves skin complexion
- Weight management
- Aids metabolism
- Blood purifier
- Speeds wound healing
- Helps with coughs + asthma
- Prevents bloating
Today I’m sharing 3 of my favourite turmeric recipes that taste amazing and will only help you reap the benefits of turmeric, plus more! Lately I’ve been using Botanica Health’s Organic Turmeric Golden Mylk because it’s such a delicious turmeric blend that’s easy to add into my daily life, plus it’s so easy to add into yummy recipes for an elevated boost of nutrition. The impressive nutrient-rich ingredients in this blend include: organic turmeric, organic dates, organic coconut, organic vanilla flavour, organic cardamom, organic ashwagandha, organic cinnamon, and organic black pepper. It only took my first try of this delicious and powerful golden mylk blend before I was hooked! If you haven’t tried this product before, or don’t have any, it’s not to worry. You can simply use freshly grated turmeric, or a good quality source of turmeric powder with a pinch of black pepper in replacement for the recipes. I do highly suggest checking out the Botanica Organic Turmeric Golden Mylk blend I’ve been using the next time you visit your health foods store. If you’re looking for an easy and tasteful way to add the healing benefits of turmeric into your health and wellness regime, this blend is a simple and easy way to do just that! You can also find it online at a few of my favourite health foods/supplement websites by typing “Golden Mylk” into the search bar. I always manage to find healthy goodies at low prices here:
So, what’s my number one favourite way to reap the benefits of turmeric? A warming cup of golden mylk! It’s simple to make, healing, traditionally used in modern Ayurvedic medicine, and consists of only whole food ingredients. Traditional golden milk recipes use whole milk, however, I opt for unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk) as it’s a dairy free (mylk) option that is a little easier on our body, especially for those of us who suffer from dairy intolerances and sensitive digestion. Nourishing, soothing, healing, and calming are a few healthy effects sipping golden mylk has on the body. It’s also versatile, you can enjoy it as an energizing kick start to your day, or enjoy it as a calming evening wind down. It’s all in the ingredients and what you choose to blend it with. The possibilities are endless! You can get as creative or as simple as you wish. A few other ways I like to add turmeric into my diet is by blending it into delicious smoothies or adding it into decadent raw energy bite recipes.
TURMERIC GOLDEN MYLK 3 WAYS
BEAUTIFYING GOLDEN MYLK
Elevate your health and boost your nutrient intake with this delicious, energizing, and nourishing golden mylk recipe that comes packed with skin loving, gut healing, and energizing ingredients. This golden blend delivers an array of potent antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, fiber, and a boost of plant protein. This blend is best enjoyed in the morning to replenish and give yourself a healthy boost of energy for your day ahead.
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk, or any plant based milk of choice
- 1 tsp Botanica Health Golden Mylk powder
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger, or ground ginger
- 1/2 scoop vanilla plant protein powder
- 1 tsp raw unpasteurized honey or organic pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, or ghee or MCT oil
- Heat coconut milk in a small saucepan over the stove.
- Once almond milk is heated through, pour it gently into a blender and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend everything together until creamy and frothy and pour into your favourite mug to be enjoyed immediately.
GLOWING GOLDEN MYLK SMOOTHIE
A nutrient-rich smoothie blend that helps fight inflammation and boosts your glow from the inside out. Rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, vitamins, and minerals, along with a good source of healthy fats, fiber, and plant protein. Blend this smoothie up for breakfast, a midday pick me up, or a post-workout.
- 1 + 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp Botanica Health Golden Mylk powder
- 1 tsp goji berry powder
- 1 scoop vanilla plant protein powder
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts, sprinkled on top
- Add all ingredients except the hemp hearts into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into your favourite smoothie glass, sprinkle with hemp hearts, and enjoy!
DECADENT GOLDEN BITES
These decadent turmeric bites are energizing, immune boosting, and gut-friendly. This nutrient dense recipe contains healthy fats, filling fiber, plant protein, and a rich source of nutrients that help fight disease. Enjoy these delicious bites as a yummy snack, pre workout, or post workout to leave you feeling satisfied and fuelled.
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked overnight or for at least 4 hrs
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 tsp Botanica Health Golden Mylk powder
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 scoop vanilla plant based protein powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic shredded coconut, for rolling in
- Soak dates in hot water for 10 minutes to soften them up. Add shredded coconut to a separate bowl and set it aside.
- Once the dates have softened, drain them and place them in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients (except the shredded coconut) and begin processing until the mixture turns into a sticky dough-like consistency. Use a spatula to push down the sides if necessary in between processing. Add tbsp amounts of water in between processing if the mixture is too dry. If the mixture is too wet, add more oats.
- With a spoon, scoop heaping tbsp amounts of the mixture, roll it into rounded balls in the palm of your hands, then roll it around in the bowl of shredded coconut. Place each coconut covered turmeric bite onto a large plate or cookie sheet.
- Once you have used up all of the mixture, place the energy balls into an airtight container and keep them stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days or the freezer up to 2 weeks for optimal freshness.
What are some of your favourite ways to add the healing benefits of turmeric into your diet? Comment below to let me know! If you try out any of today’s turmeric inspired recipes, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @thenourishedvibe or use hashtag #thenourishedvibe so I don’t miss out on seeing and sharing your healthy creations. Be sure to check out @BotanicaHealth on Instagram for some healthy inspirations and recipes, and don’t forget to tag them if you’re using the amazing Botanica Health Golden Mylk blend so they can see and share your healthy creations. Have a healthy and amazing day!
Photos by the beautiful and talented Kristen of LoveCraft Photography. Check her out!