You don’t have to follow a dairy free, gluten free, vegan, or any specific diet to enjoy this healthy and delicious vegan mac and cheese dish I’m sharing today. This nutrient-rich recipe is one you’ll want to bookmark! I guarantee you’ll make it again, and again, and again, because who doesn’t love a delicious, hearty, comforting, creamy, feel-good pasta dish?
This recipe is easy, nutrient-rich, and can be put together in 25 minutes. All you have to do is cook up some plant based pasta, blend up some sauce, and mix the two together and voila! I used my Vitamix for making the sauce in this recipe, however, any blender that has high-speed and some power works just fine!
For the sauce, it’s important to let the cashews soak overnight or ahead of time for at least 4 hours. I normally soak mine overnight, it helps soften them and makes blending much easier. Be sure to taste test your sauce and add more ingredients as you wish to suit your taste bud desires. Try and opt for a pasta that’s gluten free and plant based. I used an organic gluten free chickpea pasta fusilli, and it’s by far one of my favourite healthy pastas to cook up. I topped the mac & cheese with a vegan parmesan and a small pinch of black pepper and it was simply delicious!
HIGHLIGHTS: Gluten free, dairy free, vegan, cheesy, creamy, comforting, plant protein, fiber, healthy fats, filling, satisfying, addictive.
EASY PEASY VEGAN MAC & CHEESY
Comforting and satisfying are a few features of this nutrient dense mac & cheese dish. You would never guess this deliciously cheesy and creamy recipe comes packed with plant powered nutrition.
- For the Pasta:
- Choose any gluten free plant based pasta you wish and follow cooking instructions. For this recipe, I cooked a box of organic gluten free chickpea fusilli pasta noodles that serves 4. For the sauce:
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours prior to using
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 + 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of black pepper to taste
- Prepare pasta of choice.
- While the pasta is cooking, begin making the sauce. Drain and rinse the cashews then add them to a food processor, vitamix, or any high-speed blender with the rest of the sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more water as needed to achieve a creamy consistency. Taste test and add more ingredients as needed to suit your taste bud desires.
- Once pasta is done cooking, drain the water then add in the sauce.
- Mix everything together and enjoy! Keep extras stored in the fridge in an airtight container up to 4 days.
Have you ever tried a vegan mac & cheese dish before? Be sure to let me know if you tried this recipe out by tagging me on Instagram @thenourishedvibe and use the hashtag #thenourishedvibe so I can see your version. Thank you for popping by!