Alright friends, I’m gracing you with an amazing muffin recipe today that my dad and I concocted together when I was visiting home last week. Seriously, bookmark this one because it’s so hearty and delicious!
Beets are the star of today’s recipe, and for good reason! The beet puree is what makes this recipe extra nourishing. I know some of you may be thinking beets are earthy, which they definitely are, but that’s what makes them perfect for adding into a chocolate recipe like this one. Not only does beet puree make muffin recipes more hearty and moist, it also compliments chocolate perfectly.
Benefits of beets: high in antioxidants, promote heart and brain health, increase energy, relieve inflammation, detoxifying.
For the recipe, we used my Dad’s garden beets that had already been peeled, chopped, cooked, and frozen ahead of time, but if you don’t have beets ready to go, that’s okay! Cook yourself a batch of beets, use what you need for this recipe, then freeze whatever is left over to use on a later day. Batch cooking keeps healthy eating simple and easy. Having beets prepped and ready to go is a way you can be sure to add more nutrient rich veggies into your day. They’re great for adding into smoothie blends, and other healthy baking recipes. While we are on the topic of cooked then frozen vegetables, I also like to batch steam cauliflower then freeze it to use in my smoothie bases for thickness and added nutrient love!
Features: delicious, addictive, soft, chocolatey, nutrient rich, real food ingredients, vegan, dairy free.
These muffins are the perfect decadent snack option. Whip them up at the beginning of your week so you have a hearty and satisfying snack to grab and go!
VEGAN CHOCOLATE BEET MUFFINS
A decadent and hearty muffin recipe that’s vegan friendly and packed with real food ingredients. This delicious and nutritious muffin recipe will leave you feeling nourished and satisfied.
- 1 medium to large beet, peeled and cooked ahead of time (approximately 8 oz)
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 + ¾ cup sprouted spelt flour
- 1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 + ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a food processor, blend the beet with the coconut oil into a smooth puree. You will need about 1 cup of the puree.
- In a medium sized bowl, add almond milk, pure vanilla extract, pure maple syrup, and beet puree. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients; spelt flour, coconut palm sugar, raw cacao powder, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Add the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir everything together gently to just combine (you don’t want the dry ingredients to become too wet, making the batter smooth). If your batter is a bit lumpy, that is good! Fold in the vegan chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the twelve lined (or greased) muffin slots (fill each one about ¾ full) and place in the oven for an estimated 20 – 25 minutes, keeping an eye.
- Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool completely. Keep stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days for optimal freshness.
Thank you for popping by the blog today! Be sure to snap a photo of your vegan chocolate beet muffins if you try this recipe out, and tag me on instagram @thenourishedvibe using the hashtag #thenourishedvibe so I can see your healthy creations!